Doctor Who USA Tour
For a more detailed summary of the various tour stops, dates, the guests travelling on the bus and admission prices, visit our dedicated page. For newspaper clippings, visit the Doctor Who Cuttings Archive.
Controller of BBC One, Michael Grade, and Peter Davison appear at the inauguration, as the Doctor Who USA Tour trailer "bus" sets off from Washington DC to begin its two-year, multi-city tour (two cities per week). It is hoped that most of the 185 markets where Doctor Who is screened across America will be visited. Some of the city visits coincide with organised conventions and other fan events.
- Interviews with Grade and BBC representative Brian Sloman appear in Starlog 113.
May to August
- On 25 May 1986 the occupants of the bus participated in the Hands Across America event.
- 13-28 September 1986: The Tour heads south, visiting New York, Massachusetts and Ohio. (The two Bakers travelled together for some of the time during September, attending various Whovent 86 conventions along the way.)
- 4-5 October 1986: Colin Baker and Patrick Troughton travel on to Minnesota and Wisconsin.
October to December
- The Tour moves south through North Carolina and South Carolina with Jon Pertwee, who falls ill; he is accompanied by Paul Darrow and Michael Keating from Blakes 7 for part of the journey.
- By early 1987, the Tour has been renamed the Doctor Who Celebration & Tour 87-88, with at least 36 states on its itinerary.
January to February 1987
- The trailer reaches Louisiana and Florida, with Peter Davison and later Jon Pertwee.
- 21-21 February 1987: The Tour comes to Walt Disney World in Orlando, with Jon Pertwee.
- 22-28 February 1987: The trailer heads northwards again: Pertwee makes stops in Louisiana, and Birmingham, Alabama, before heading to Georgia later the same day.
- 28 February 1987: That evening, at Mercer University in Atlanta, Georgia, Pertwee is joined by new Doctor Sylvester McCoy, and producer John Nathan-Turner. McCoy is interviewed by Eric Luskin.
- Interview with Sylvester McCoy in Starlog 120.
The Tour heads north east.
- 7 March 1987: Footage from Pertwee's visit aired with the Live from Atlanta TV special.
- 26-27 March 1987: Anthony Ainley and Janet Fielding call in at Baltimore.
- 27-28 March 1987: Sylvester McCoy returns to the US, and joins the bus as it heads to Virginia.
March to May 1987
McCoy continues to Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. John Nathan-Turner is picked up in New York. Janet Fielding joins in Ohio, while Sarah Sutton accompanies the tour through Pennsylvania and back through Ohio to Indiana.
- 16-17 May 1987: The Tour stops at the WGBH studios in Boston with Sylvester McCoy (who has just completed recording Time and the Rani). On the night of 17 May, a special "Dinner With the Doctor" is held.
TV commercial on WGVU
July to August 1987
- 2 July 1987: The Tour visits west Michigan; Janet Fielding makes an appearance at locally-sponsored events.
- 4-5 July 1987: Heading north west, the Tour stops at Chicago. (There are no guests during this leg of the tour.)
- 9 July 1987: Sylvester McCoy returns, visiting Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota.
- 25 July to 1 August 1987: Westbound, the Tour arrives in North Dakota, South Dakota and Iowa, now with Janet Fielding.
Iowa, Aug. 1, 1987
August to September
- 5-9 September 1987: His work on season 24 completed, Sylvester McCoy rejoins the tour, and the trailer travels to Washington state, then south to Los Angeles.
- September to October 1987: Jon Pertwee visits Portland, Oregon, then Sacramento (and possibly also San Jose?) in California.
- October to November 1987: Heading east again, the bus passes through Arizona, New Mexico, Arkansas, Texas and Mississippi with Pertwee for the latter leg.
- 5-12 December 1987: The Tour moves through Mississippi, Florida and Louisiana; with Jon Pertwee at the last few stops.
- Early 1988: The Tour moves north, taking Sylvester McCoy to Urbana, and north to Maine.
- Eventually, the bus heads towards the east coast again, where, after two years on the road, and having visited some 180+ locations, the Tour comes to an end. The trailer itself is eventually returned to the UK, and left to rot in a junkyard.
- FACEBOOK Group dedicated to the Bus Tour
- USA TOUR 1986 PHOTOS 1
- USA TOUR 1986 PHOTOS 2
- USA TOUR 1986 PHOTOS 3
- USA TOUR OVERVIEW - and the sad fate of the Trailer...
|United States Chronology|
|1963-1969 | 1971-1972 | 1973-1977 | 1978 | 1979 | 1980 | 1981 | 1982 | 1983 | 1984 | 1985 | 1986 | 1987 | 1988 | 1989 | 1990 | 1991-2020s|
|Related articles||List of conventions | List of fan clubs | References to the USA in Doctor Who | Doctor Who USA Bus Tour | USA Bus Tour stops | Documentaries and specials | TV Guide | Saturday, March 12, 1988 | First airings by episode | Search by episode title or date | United States by the numbers | Chicago chronology | Time-Life Television|