The Green Death
|Story Code: TTT / Season 10||UK Airdate: 19 May to 23 Jun 1973||Doctor: Jon Pertwee|
|First airings by location||UK Repeats / Foreign Cable and Satellite||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following known countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|Canada||76 or 77||NTSC|
- The story (in b/w) was assessed and given an A rating by the censors in Australia in October 1973. This also meant that New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore and Gibraltar could not purchase.
- The story was also not offered to Middle Eastern countries, so it didn't air in Saudi Arabia or United Arab Emirates with the rest of the season.
- CONSPIRACY THEORY: Not selling to the Middle East might have been a deliberate tactful move by the BBC, because the serial did not necessarily paint the oil/chemical industry in a very good light...
- The only country to purchase was Canada, and the serial screened in Vancouver and Toronto around the same time.
- The Australian censors were asked by the ABC to reassess the story for a run of repeats in 1978, and this time it was cleared (and screened in colour (the tapes received in 1973 had been retained in Australia). This also meant that New Zealand could buy the serial; it screened mid-way through a run of Tom Baker stories, timed (deliberately or coincidentally?) during Jon Pertwee's cabaret tour of the country.
|New Zealand||Jan 79||PAL|
- The serial was also issued to the USA in mid-1983, as part of a package of 14 full colour Jon Pertwee stories:
|United States||from Jun 83||NTSC|
- Canada was also offered the serial again in the 1990s (?).
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: The Green Death
- Part 1: A glowing corpse baffles UNIT, but Dr. Who can't help—he has problems of his own.
- Part 2: Evans has turned green and is dying, but Jo is unable to bring him to the surface.
- Part 3: Doctor Who brings and egg out of the mine, hoping to isolate the deadly virus.
- Part 4: Stevens orders the Brigadier to seal off the mine shaft with explosives.
- Part 5: Yates is captured by the computer and programmed to kill.
- Part 6: Dr. Who works to find a cure for the green disease and stop the computers from taking over the planet.