|Story Code: F / Season 1||UK Airdate: 23 May to 13 Jun 1964||Doctor: William Hartnell|
|First airings by location||UK Repeats / Foreign Cable and Satellite||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|Rhodesia / Zimbabwe||Mar 66||b/w|
|Trinidad & Tobago||May 66||b/w|
|Hong Kong||Nov 66||b/w|
|Sierra Leone||Nov 67||b/w|
|Costa Rica||Oct 71||b/w|
- This serial was the only historical that had a Music / Effects track made and was dubbed for the Spanish and Arabic language markets. (See interview with Eddie Montague.)
- Prints of three episodes were found in Cyprus in late 1984.
- The Arabic print of episode four that had aired in Morocco (the can still bears a label for the Moroccan TV station RTM) is held by a private collector. According to a slate that appears on the film leader, the Arabic negative from which this print was struck was created in November 1967, which ties in with the contracted sale date of this story to Morocco. This means the prints struck for Tunisia came from a different negative. (It's possible that the prints sent to Tunisia were mute, with the Arabic sound on a separate magnetic tape, whereas the later print struck for Morocco (and other Arabic countries?) had the Arabic dub printed on as an optical track.)
- See Hartnell Junkings
- The serial was reissued by the BBC in late 1985, and sold to:
|United States||from Sep 85||b/w|
|New Zealand||Jun 00||b/w|
- The serial was dubbed into Italian and released as part of a DVD box-set in 2008.
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: The Aztecs
- Episode 1: The Doctor must retrieve the Tardis when the craft materializes inside an Aztec tomb in the year 1430 and gets trapped inside.
- Episode 2: (no plot description)
- Episode 3: (no plot description)
- Episode 4: (no plot description)
- Compilation: The Doctor must retrieve the Tardis when the craft materializes inside an Aztec tomb in the year 1430 and is inadvertently sealed inside.