The Green Death
|Story Code: TTT / Season 10||UK Airdate: 19 May to 23 Jun 1973||Doctor: Jon Pertwee|
|First airings by location||UK Repeats / Foreign Cable and Satellite||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following known countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|Canada||76 or 77||NTSC|
|United States||Jul 77||NTSC|
- The story (in b/w) was assessed and given an A rating by the censors in Australia in October 1973; it did not screen. This also meant that New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore and Gibraltar could not purchase.
- The serial aired in Boston only; the rest of the United States did not get the serial until the 1983 re-issue. This appears to have been a special one-off deal struck between WGBX and the BBC that was in addition to the standard Time Life deal that was available elsewhere. (The BBC took the opportunity to also sell the serial to Canadian stations TVO and CKVU at the same time, presumably to cover the costs of having NTSC conversions made.)
- The story was not offered to Middle Eastern countries, so it didn't air in Saudi Arabia or United Arab Emirates with the rest of the season.
- CONSPIRACY THEORY: This might have been a deliberate tactful move by the BBC, because the serial did not necessarily paint the oil/chemical industry in a very good light...
- The Australian censors were asked by the ABC to reassess the story for a run of repeats in 1978, and this time it was cleared (and screened in colour since the tapes received in 1973 had been retained by the ABC). This meant that New Zealand could also buy the serial; it screened mid-way through a run of Tom Baker stories, which was (deliberately or coincidentally?) when Jon Pertwee was bringing his cabaret tour to the country.
|New Zealand||Jan 79||PAL|
- The serial was also issued to the USA in mid-1983, as part of a package of 14 full colour Jon Pertwee stories.
- Canada was also offered the serial again in the 1990s (?).
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: The Green Death
- Part 1: A glowing corpse baffles UNIT, but Dr. Who can't help—he has problems of his own.
- Part 2: Evans has turned green and is dying, but Jo is unable to bring him to the surface.
- Part 3: Doctor Who brings and egg out of the mine, hoping to isolate the deadly virus.
- Part 4: Stevens orders the Brigadier to seal off the mine shaft with explosives.
- Part 5: Yates is captured by the computer and programmed to kill.
- Part 6: Dr. Who works to find a cure for the green disease and stop the computers from taking over the planet.
- Compilation: A glowing corpse is the first clue in the mysterious epidemic of "The Green Death."