Difference between revisions of "Carnival of Monsters"
|Line 41:||Line 41:|
Revision as of 22:07, 7 September 2019
|Story Code: PPP / Season 10||UK Airdate: 27 Jan to 17 Feb 1973||Doctor: Jon Pertwee|
|First airings by location||UK Terrestrial and Satellite Repeats||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following known countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|Hong Kong||Apr 74||b/w|
|United Arab Emirates||74 or 75||PAL|
|New Zealand||Sep 75||PAL|
|United States||Jun 77||NTSC|
|Qatar||77, 78 or 79?||b/w or PAL|
- The story may have been dubbed into Arabic.
- The ABC acquired the serial on 16mm film and PAL colour video tapes (the second episode of which was an extended edit with the alternative music). The ABC planned to screen the story in b/w in late 1973, with the repeat in colour in 1975, however the repeat was scheduled a year early, and was also in b/w. The unused PAL tapes went into storage, but were accessed to make copies for the New Zealand screening in September 1975 and the Brunei screening a year later.
- The ABC's b/w films were returned to the BBC by the late 1970s.
- 16mm b/w prints of parts 1,2 and 3 were acquired by a film collector in the 1970s. These may have been returned from Australia, Hong Kong, Gibraltar, or Saudi Arabia.
- The colour serial aired in Boston only; the rest of the United States did not get the serial until the 1983 re-issue. This appears to have been a special one-off deal struck between WGBX and the BBC that was in addition to the standard Time Life deal that was available elsewhere.
- It's not clear why this serial was not sold to Canada in 1976 along with other stories from this season. One possible answer is that TVO's Fall 1977 line-up was limited to the number of episodes, so they had to drop at least one 4-parter from the schedule.
- Australia aired the serial in colour for the first time in May 1978 (as a repeat), using the video tapes with the extended version of part two (which had the alternative Delaware arrangement of the theme music) that had been in storage there since 1973, and which had already been copied to air in New Zealand and Brunei (and possibly also in the UAE).
- The serial was issued in mid-1983, as part of a package of 14 full colour Jon Pertwee stories, and sold to the United States, with a subsequent sale to Canada, who had missed out in 1976:
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: Carnival of Monsters
- Episode 1: The Tardis lands on a ship in the Indian Ocean in the year 1926.
- Episode 2: After being attacked by fellow passengers, Dr. Who and Jo escape the ship.
- Episode 3: The Drashigs attack the ship, and Dr. Who escapes—without Jo.
- Episode 4: Dr. Who struggles to save Jo from the Scope before it goes down.
- Compilation: The year: 1926. The setting: a cargo ship in the Indian Ocean. The problem: horrible sea creatures.