|Story Code: B / Season 1||UK Airdate: 21 Dec 1963 to 1 Feb 1964||Doctor: William Hartnell|
|First airings by location||UK Repeats / Foreign Cable and Satellite||Previous Story / Next Story|
We have called this story by this title rather than "The Mutants", the one by which the BBC actively marketed the serial in 1964, to avoid confusion with the Jon Pertwee serial of the same name.
This story aired in the following countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|New Zealand||Oct 64||b/w|
|Rhodesia / Zimbabwe||Oct 65||b/w|
|Trinidad & Tobago||Nov 65||b/w|
|Hong Kong||May 66||b/w|
|Sierra Leone||May 67||b/w|
|Costa Rica||Jul 71||b/w|
- New Zealand sent its prints to Denmark in 1968, but the serial did not play there.
- It has been reported that Cyprus sent its prints to Uganda - and yet, Uganda screened the serial two months before Cyprus! Or was Uganda merely an intermediary in the bicycling process, receiving and sending on the films without screening them? (See Bicycling Chains for more on this...)
- A print of part 5 was located in private hands in early 2004; the collector had acquired the film from the BBC circa late 1972. That it was in English suggests it may have been returned recently Ethiopia, where the series had completed its run in April 1972. However, it could also have been a spare copy held by the BBC.
US TV Guide descriptions (1960s Hartnells on CBC)
- Episode 1: Dr. Who lands his rocket on a distant planet and finds that all the vegetation has been petrified.
- Episode 2: Dr. Who and his friends find themselves at the mercy of the Daleks, the only survivors of a neutron war.
- Episode 3: Dr. Who, Susan and their reluctant passengers escape from the Daleks.
- Episode 4: In their escape from the Daleks, the earthlings panic, and lose an important part of their equipment.
- Episode 5: Dr. Who and his friends ask the Thals to help them attack the Daleks.
- Episode 6: Ian enters the caves leading to the ciy of the Daleks.
- Episode 7: Dr. Who attempts to bribe the Daleks.
- The serial was reissued by the BBC in late 1985, and sold to:
|United States||from Sep 85||b/w|
- Newspapers occasionally referred to this serial as Day of the Daleks.
- The serial was dubbed into Italian and released as part of a DVD box-set in 2007.
- The story was later dubbed into German and released on DVD. A subtitled DVD was also issued in Brazil.
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: The Daleks
- Episode 1: The Doctor arrives on the planet Skaro, where a group of humans known as the Thals is menaced by the evil Daleks.
- Episode 2: (no plot description)
- Episode 3: (no plot description)
- Episode 4: (no plot description)
- Episode 5: (no plot description)
- Episode 6: (no plot description)
- Episode 7: (no plot description)
- Compilation: The Doctor arrives on the planet Skaro, where a group of humans known as the Thals is menaced by the evil Daleks.
- Main Page
- Broadcasts around the World
- Articles & Analysis
- BBC Records